Everyone loves nothing more than to remain always glued to their favorite devices whether it be tablets, PCs, television, or mobile phones. Speaking of smartphones, you will be surprised to know that almost 1.5 billion mobiles are going to be shipped in 2023. This is a jaw-dropping prediction that is made by none other than Gartner. It just proves how much people like to update their devices whenever a new version becomes available.
I remember how fascinated I became when I saw the commercial for the new Apple device on my Cox cable. I fought the urge to buy the gadget but ended up buying it anyway.
A Big Problem
You may love your devices more than anything else but there is something that you know about. And that is no matter if it is a mobile device or any other gadget, they will eventually reach the end of their useful life. Once it does, then they will simply become electronic waste. This is a big problem, especially in the United States. But you can take appropriate steps to eliminate it.
You see, many of the materials that are used to make these devices can easily be reused and recovered. For instance, Apple has started to make its 13-inch MacBook Air with 40% recycled content.
However, you should keep in mind that electronics also contain toxic materials like mercury, lead, and cadmium. Hence, it is important for you to get rid of them carefully.
There is a solution that can help you get rid of e-waste. More specifically, there are three steps that will allow you to minimize this problem. So, without any further delay, let’s discuss them.
#1. Take the Device to the Recycler
There are a lot of local communities and nonprofit organizations that provide you with various options to recycle your electronics. Therefore, it is best if you contact them and let them take care of the issue.
In addition, there are some services like Earth911’s extensive recycling database that you can reach out to in case you have an old electronic device that you wish to recycle. They will deal with the matter efficiently. If you want to get further help then it is advisable to get in touch with Sustainable Electronics Recycling International.
#2. Donate the Device
If you have a gadget that you want to get rid of and it still functions then it is a good idea to donate it to a charity or a nonprofit organization. You should start off by looking for local institutions for elderly people and also recreation centers. There are also a number of programs that can enable you to donate your old devices to those who need them. Here are a few of those programs.
- Dell Reconnect: This is a beneficial program for those who wish to donate their computers. It doesn’t matter what brand as all of them are accepted. Apart from the computers, anything that can be connected to a computer is also accepted.
- eBay for Charity: This service lets you sell your devices. And then whatever you earn on them, you can simply donate some or all of the proceedings to the charity of your choice.
#3. Take the Product to a Tech Firm
To make it easier for you to get rid of e-waste, there are some electronic retailers and manufacturers that provide you with different recycling programs. Here are just a few of them.
- Amazon: The company offers gift cards to those who provide electronic devices for recycling. The device can be of any kind. Apart from gadgets, they also accept video games and music CDs.
- Apple: If people give their electronic devices to Apple, then the company will be liable to offer them up to $1530 in either in-store credit or gift cards.
- Best Buy: They offer multiple recycling options for different kinds of electronics. Also, it doesn’t matter where you bought the devices from as they accept them all.
E-waste is a real threat and should be dealt with seriously. Luckily, there are some options available that you can use to recycle your old devices. So, if you have a gadget that you want to get rid of, you can consider the above-mentioned ways to recycle them. This will make the world a less polluted place to live in.