Table of Contents
There are multiple ways to take screenshot on HP laptop, desktop computer, and tablet. However, capturing a screen can be a tricky task especially for those who just started using a HP laptop or tablet.
So, if you are a HP Elitebook, Chromebook, Probook, Pavillion, Spectre, Envy, Stream, or Omen laptop user below are the ways you can try to take a screenshot on any HP laptop.
I am using HP pavilion laptop and have tried all the below screengrab methods and found them 100% working.
How to Take a Screenshot on HP Laptop?
Knowing shortcuts of screenshotting will be a great help when it comes to capture a screen quickly while on the skype or zoom call.
Besides it, it would also helpful while you are making a screen recording video for your YouTube channel or need to show some quick edits to your colleague.
Whatever the reason, go for the below HP laptop screenshot methods. By the way below methods will work the same for your HP desktop computer too.
So, let’s get started –
#Method 1 – Windows + Prt SC Key to Take a Screenshot of Full Screen
To grab a screenshot of a full screen on your HP laptop or computer –
- Press Windows and Print Screen key (Prt SC or PrtScn) at the same time.
- Your laptop screen will blink for a while to confirm that you have successfully taken the screenshot.
- Open any image editing software like (MS Paint, Photoshop, MS Word, PaintShop Pro, Illustrator).
- Create a new image and press CTRL+V or just right click and select Paste.
- Your screenshot will be pasted there which you can save as the JPG or PNG file.
Besides it, you can follow above steps just by pressing Print Screen key only as it works fine on my HP pavilion laptop and should work on your HP laptop too.
#Method 2 – Snip and Catch for Partial Screen Capture
To capture a portion of screen on your HP laptop –
- Press Shift + Window + S key together.
- Your screen will turn into a little grey color with four snipping options (Rectangular snip, window snip, Freeform Snip, and Fullscreen Snip) on the top.
- Choose the appropriate option as per your need
- Select the portion you want to capture. A Snip Saved to Clipboard pop up will open in the bottom right side of your laptop.
- Click on it and a Snip & Sketch dashboard open where you can make some quick edits and save the screenshot in your laptop.
In case, if you want to do an advance editing on your taken screenshot then don’t click on the pop up, instead open an image editing program like Photoshop, create a new image, and press CTRL + V or right click and select the Paste option.
Your screenshot will be pasted there, do your editing and save it as a JPG or PNG.
How to Screenshot on HP Laptop Without Printscreen Button? (Actually This is #Method 3)
In case, if your Print Screen (Prt SC) key damaged or not working properly then you need to go for alternative methods to take a screenshot on HP laptop.
Here I will walk you through few free tools and Google Chrome Extensions that will help you in capturing a screen on your HP laptop without using a Printscreen key.
If you are using a tablet and there is usually a combination of buttons that you need to press in order to take a screenshot but if you are really a newbie you can always just check wolfoftablet.com to know more on how to use a tablet
Snipping tool is an integrated feature of Windows Vista, Windows 7, 8, and 10 which allows users to grab screenshot of any size (Full or Partial screen).
To take a screenshot using Snipping Tool –
- Search for Snipping Tool in your Windows Search Area.
- Press CTRL + N or click on New.
- Click on Mode to choose the snipping mode.
- Select the portion of a screen you want to grab.
- Next, Snipping Tool dashboard will open where you can do some editing like you can select pen color and add custom text, highlight some portion of the screenshot, or even can edit the snap with Paint 3D program.
- Once you are done with your editing, click on Disk icon to save the screenshot as jpg, png, gif, or HTML file.
TechSmith Capture (Formerly Jing)
Another free and great screen capture software that works best for any laptops including HP.
TechSmith was formerly known as Jing which is available for both Windows and Mac PCs.
It has some cool features like you can grab a screenshot of any size, you can even record a video of your screen, super cool screenshot editing features like arrows of different colors, you can put some annotations with different color backgrounds, different fonts with custom size, you can even highlight any portion of the snapshot with different color, you can even pick a shape with stroke effect, it provides a sharable link of the screenshot, all the screenshots will be saved in the png file.
Above all, you will get these amazing screencaps features for free.
Here’s how to use TechSmith (Jing) screen capture software on HP laptop –
- Download the Jing software from here.
- Login to your Jing account. If you don’t have an account, then do create one for free. It is a one-time process, you don’t need to login and log out every time you turn on your laptop.
- Whenever you need to take a screenshot, just open the TechSmith Capture software by clicking on its icon from the home screen of your laptop or desktop. Or you can simply press shift+f11.
- Select the area you want to capture.
- Click on Camera icon to capture an image.
- Edit the image according to your requirements.
- And save it as a png file or you can even create a sharable link of your screenshot to share on social media platforms, skype, whatsapp, etc.
In brief, these two are one of my favourite screen capturing software I am using on my HP Pavillion laptop.
Besides these, you can even go for Greenshot, Lighshot, Screenshot Captor, and SnapCrab to capture screenshot on HP laptop without Printscreen key.
Google Chrome Extensions
If you are using Google Chrome browser on your HP laptop, then having one of these Chrome extensions will make the screen grabbing job easy.
- Scrnli Screenshot & Screen Video Recorder
- Awesome Screenshot & Screen Recorder
I have found only these two cool Google Chrome Screen capture and video recording extensions which are totally free and working on any HP laptop without any need of pressing printscreen key.
How to Take a Screenshot on HP Tablet?
Taking a screenshot on HP tablet is completely different then how to take screenshot on HP laptop. Here, instead of keyboard shortcuts or screenshot software you just need to follow below two steps –
- Hold the power and volume down buttons at the same time for a while.
- As you release the buttons, tablet’s screen will flash indicating that your screenshot has been taken.
- Go to your tablet’s photo gallery to find the taken screenshot.
It seems very quick but with this default screenshot method on HP tablet you cannot edit the screenshotted image.
So, if you are in need to edit your screenshots on your HP tablet then you need to download screenshot app that support windows and android OS.
For example, Super Screenshot is a good application you can take into consideration.